Thursday, June 8, 2017

Pondering the next layout.

So, I have been pondering a new layout for a while now. I have constructed and operated numerous layouts over the years, but really only two were successful layouts (modeling the Rock Island from Davenport, IA to Chicago and modeling the Rock Island between Ottawa and Utica). Both modeled in Nscale, the layouts worked well, but also had some issues that created some headaches.
I still don't know what our destiny holds regarding moving, but figure there are some things I can work on now for the next layout regardless.
So, here are some of my wish list items as well as some items to avoid. Thoughts?
Wish List:
Basic Mainline with Continuous Running.
Numerous interlockings with various connecting roads.
One small yard.
Numerous water crossings.
Basic operations with no more than two people or so.
Operate with various railroad power:
- Illinois Central Gulf
- Illinois Terminal
- Chicago & Illinois Midland
- Toledo, Peoria & Western
and lesser extent
- Chessie System
- Santa Fe
- Rock Island
- Maybe even a high-nose Southern unit for good measure.
Some Industrial Switching (fairly simply).
- Fuel Distributor
- LP Gas/Fertilizer Distributor
- Concrete Grain Elevator
- River Coal Dock
- Grocery Store Distributor
- A few general warehouses
Things to Avoid:
Do not model prototypical operations of any one railroad. I have gone that route before. I find it extremely interesting, but I simply get overwhelmed as I want to model it fully and have a hard time reducing the operating scheme to the space I have available or fitting my budgeting funds. It ends up causing me too much stress. I just need to go "free willy" on this one. :-)
Hold on to your hats. This is a big one! DCC. Say what?!?!?
Yeah, you read right. DCC has been a great source of pain for me over the past few years. New drop-in decoders not working in locomotives. Numerous locomotives going schizophrenic on me. I'm not alone in my issues either. Other layouts I have operated on have experienced similar issues (NCE or Digitrax). I know there are benefits for using DCC, but for my wish list, I just don't see it necessary anymore. I don't want to worry about it.
I would like to install a simple two throttle system using a DC walk-around throttle from GML Enterprises. http://www.thegmlenterprises.com/id18.html
So, when you guys pull yourself off the floor and upright your chair, feel free to comment.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! Didn't see that coming. (You mentioned moving?)

    Good luck Steven. I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. At first it appeared we would be moving to Illinois, but now I'm not sure. So, we wait to see where we are lead to go. My wife has family in Illinois.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the move....Abandon DCC- are you sure? I know, we all have days when the aggro doesn't seem worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I just want to run trains. I'm tired of the issues with decoders, programming, etc.

      Delete