Thursday, January 18, 2018

Snow Day Progress Report

Today, I actually accomplished something.  Last weekend at the WGHS, I picked up a Walthers McGraw Oil Kit in HO Scale.  Did I turn to the dark side?  No.  I wanted to use the tanks from the kit for my bulk oil facility.  My father-in-law manages a small bulk oil facility in Illinois.  So, I wanted to create one on the layout.

Here is what the kit looks like normally.

The tanks are supposed to be four sections tall.  I only used three of the sections.  

I also trimmed down the standpipe assembly to be more in line with N scale.

These have a rubber hose (included with kit) that will attach.  All of these pieces will be painted.

I couldn't use the buildings as the door/windows would be out of scale for N scale.  The roof assembly and platform for the decking did remind me of a covered loading area for trucks.  I think I will use the roof and foundation along with some scratchbuilt pieces to do just that.

Here are the unused sections of tank.  I plan on adding the Walthers Interstate Oil Kit (N Scale) and possibly the Walthers LP Tank Kit (N Scale) depending on how much room I have.  Overall, I think it will be a decent bulk oil facility.

I'm happy to report one 2'x8' section of benchwork is nearly complete. I need to resize the intermediate supports underneath as I was a little long on my original cut.  






2 comments:

  1. That looks like a nice kit, Steven. Can you please tell me what the diameter of the tanks is? I could have several uses for some myself.

    ReplyDelete