Thursday, January 11, 2018

Layout Design - Part II

I had numerous suggestions of creating an out to move traffic offline.  I looked at the plan and see three feasible solutions.


  1. Extend the ICG mainline out to the left (on the bottom drawing).  This would cross the return loop at a 90 degree angle.
  2. Extend out the unknown railroad (on the top drawing).
  3. (most preferred) Extend the ICG mainline (on the bottom drawing) and add a left turnout for return loop.  I could then add a drop leaf staging yard to the right like I did on my old Rock Island layout.

Also, I inquired about construction two 8ft x 2ft sections vs four 4ft x 2ft sections.  Feedback was definitely go with 8ft x 2ft sections.  That will help speed up construction.

Also, regarding the large grain elevator.  When researching a few months back, I came across this elevator on Rod Warren's layout.  I would like to recreate it as close as possible.  I believe I have all the kit components required to construct it now.  


I did some measuring tonight.  11.5 feet total length won't work for the room.  Plus, it's really long.  I believe I can do everything I want in 10 feet.  So, I will construct the layout as a total 4ft x 10ft built in three section (2x8, 2x8, 2x4).  The overall layout plan will stay the same.









2 comments:

  1. Just a thought. I understand WHY 2'x8' Could you build them as 2'x4' and then BOLT two together for a 2'x8'? Then if ever needed or had to, you could separate them and only have to deal with the track.
    8'er's should be much of an issue, but just thinking the worst case scenario?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So build as originally planned, but just have no plans to separate unless a worse case scenario came up?

      Delete